Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Master Angler Winners & Fishing Update

I know you have all been patiently waiting for a fishing update but I have been too busy fishing. I had to rub it in just a little bit. We also need to update the Manotak Master Angler winners for the past few weeks. We would like to congratulate Tor Saile, Gary Borkowski & Mark Melius as Master Angler winners. They are all guests who have been fishing at Manotak Lodge for a few years so they definitely have it figured out where the fish are. It helps that they are all good fisherman also. Tor brings his two sons along with him, Tyler & Tanner. We are not sure who fishes harder, the kids or dad but we do know that Tyler and Tanner are very good fisherman. It is exactly what Linda & I had hoped would happen at Manotak and that is to promote fishing to the younger generation. Gary & Mark are very good friends of Linda and I who originate from our home town. GO PACKERS - GO CHEESEHEADS! See their pictures at right.
Onto the fishing report. Walleyes are still on a great bite. Reefs are the place to be if you want Walleyes! They have not gone as deep as we thought they would at this time of the season especially for how hot it has been this summer. We are catching Eyes in the 14-22 foot range with Minnows & Leeches an equal choice for bait. Nightcrawlers are working but minnows and leeches are catching more fish. I have snuck out fishing the last two evenings and have absolutely pounded Walleyes by Twin Islands, Sand Dunes & Sandbar. Last night as an example I was fortunate to boat over 20 Walleyes in an hour & a half. My ego enlarged my head so big my hat would not fit. I can mention one secret weapon that I came upon for Walleyes for the past two days of fishing: Gold Glitter Jigs. A vendor stopped by the lodge and asked me to try his newly painted jigs that were covered in gold glitter. I guess I am like most fisherman in that I was skeptical but thought why not. They should give off a flash in the water which should help attract fish. Well, they have been red hot or should I say gold hot. I fished with Earl my dockhand and he could not believe how many fish I caught compared to his jig. Last night same thing. I fished right next to one of our guests, Craig from Denver, and he finally had to ask what the H_ll I was fishing with. He caught one to my 12 Walleyes. I have to admit that there are absolutely no problems in the world when you are catching fish. I sure wish the foreign countries that are fighting right now would come over and fish for one week and change their attitude. They can fight it out for the Manotak Master Angler Award. Pike are on a strange bite at the moment. One day they are jumping in the boat and the next day they are no where to be found. We can always rely on Pike to give action through most of the day if Walleyes are finnicky but I guess this is fishing. Yesterday was a slow day for Pike while today was fantastic. Gold spoons were good for one of our cabins that fished close to the lodge. They caught 12 pike in 2 hours time. Bass are not on a good run, they are on a phenomenal run at the moment. Leeches and Nightcrawlers are pounding Bass one after the other. Without bragging, it is common to have a guest tell us that they caught 25-40 Bass in a short days time frame. 15-19 inchers are very very active at the moment. Reefs where Walleyes are hanging out are very active for Bass as well. Some of the deeper points are also very good. Muskies are increasing in activity but we are not knocking them dead by no means. Mark & Gary who I mentioned earlier fished for them fairly actively and saw afew in the lower to mid 40's. I was fortunate to see a brute that would have definitely been over 50 inches strike one of my 17 inch Walleyes as I was bringing it in the boat. Needless to say my heart lodged in my throat for a fraction of a second. Muskies will only get better as the season progresses. Unfortuntely I do not have great news for Jumbo Perch. We are catching lots of Perch but not able to find the bigger ones on a consistent basis. I have been saying this for the past month without finding a solution. We have seen streaks of glory where a guest will catch maybe a dozen larger Perch and then they just dissapear the next day or even that afternoon. We ask our guests to keep only 9 inch or larger Perch so that they have a good meal of fillets. We appreciate this greatly.
In other news at the lodge, we have been greeted by our pet duck Lunch and her offspring. All 10 of them. They have been eating us out of house and home. They are averaging about 3-4 loafs of bread a day. We love it! In fact, another flock of ducks has shown up to take advantage of the free meals. At one time we had 18 ducks eating right out of our hands. We also found out that one flock of ducks don't like another flock of ducks. We thought we were in the "Hood" and there was going to be a gang war. Ducks were chasing each other and biting at each others tail feathers. Absolutely Hilarious to watch. We also hope you are enjoying our Live Webcam. It has been a great feature to the lodge. Guests tell us they really like watching from home and seeing what is happening here or what the weather is like. We are really close to starting up another camera right at the dock. Everything is close to being installed and should hopefully be up and running this week or maybe next. Stay tuned, literally. Don't forget about our new Fall Special where one fisherman comes for full price and the next fisherman is half price. This starts in September when it is my favorite time to fish. It may be yours also. Well, that is all for now. Sorry for the delay in reporting but I know you will cut me some slack when you know I am out fishing and doing it for a good cause. Maybe that should be our new slogan: Fishing for World Peace!

7 comments:

  1. Dave,

    Got a picture of them Gold Glitter jigs? Save me two for next June.
    Thanks

    Lou Ciminieri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently out and scrambling to get the vendor to send me a boat load. I was out again last night and caught well over 20 Walleyes in one hour 15 minutes.
    The price of each jig might be $100 but everyone knows that if you live in Schwartznegger land that everyone is rich.
    There is a great variety of sizes of Walleyes so the future is very very bright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave,

    No more Arnold, now it's Jerry Brown the Moonbeam Clown.

    Wow...the walleye action sounds great. $100 per lure sounds reasonable. Put it on Tony's bill, he owes me for two weeks of guiding and fishing lessons.

    Wish I could come out in Sept. but my wife already arranged a trip to Vancouver Island. Although it is a family vacation you know I will sneak away for some angling action.


    btw, can't post via Google profile so I am going as Anon.

    Thanks pal, take care.

    Lou Ciminieri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update Dave. I also vote for a photo of the magical gold jig!

    Pete from Brownsville

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will try and post a pic of the gold jig. Bill, our guide, tried my jig and he even commented that it worked really well and caught a number of Walleyes. The price just jumped to $150.00/jig. Lou, We will begin a tab for Tony starting now. I am sure you will want to buy these jigs in bulk. He might want to think about getting a low interest loan. Thanks for the comments Pete. We are glad that you are all still reading our blog even though it is nearing the end of our season. The Walleyes are still on a great run. Another very good day yesterday. The weather has been very stable which is good to a point but we could use some cloud cover to get the Muskies active. Our pet ducks have disbanded and are now coming in spurts. One here and one there. Unfortunately the blueberry crop is not very good this year which means we have experienced a higher number of bears near camp. They are harmless but fun to watch. Lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave, Lou may need a bunch of those gold jigs, because he has been spending far too much time netting my fish. He may think he is giving fishing lessons, but it really is netting lessons he is showing me. A picture of those jigs and/or who the manufacturer is would help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might have located a vendor that we deal with on a regular basis for the gold jigs. I am placing an order today and will try and put a pic on the web for you to see. You might all check back in your local town for a round head jig covered in gold glitter. It might be more common than we think. Out fishing again last night. Not quite as fast but still about 15 Walleyes in 2 hours. Oh, Lou & Tony, I am putting a slightly larger net in your boat next year. Not that you catch bigger fish, it will be easier to knock off the other guys fish next to the boat. Weather is still quite dry here and our lake level is still dropping slightly. We need rain so if anyone has seen Al Gore can you send him to Canada. We need to talk.

    ReplyDelete